UK Genealogy Archives logo

Marks Tey, Essex

Historical Description

Marks Tey, a parish in Essex, on the G.E.R., at the junction of the line forking to Sudbury and to Halstead, 5 miles W of Colchester, and 4 E from Coggeshall. It has a station at the railway junction, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Colchester. Acreage, 1180; population of the civil parish, 431; of the ecclesiastical, 485. Marks Tey Hall was an ancient moated mansion, and part of the moat still remains. The living,is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £365 with residence. The church is an ancient building of flint and rubble, consisting of chancel, nave, S porch, and wooden bell-tower.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyEssex 
Ecclesiastical parishMarks Tey All Saints 
HundredLexden 
Poor Law unionLexden and Winstree 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Marks Tey from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.

The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.


Maps

Online maps of Marks Tey are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online:

DistrictColchester
CountyEssex
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtCO6
Post TownColchester