Little Clacton, Essex
Clacton, Little, a parish in Essex, 3 miles S from Thorpe station on the G.E.R. It has a post office under Colchester; money order and telegraph office, Great Clacton. Area of parish, 3009 acres; population, 522. Cooks Green and Honeypot Lane are adjacent hamlets. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; value, £136. The church is a building of stone in the Early English style. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Little Clacton St. James|
|Poor Law union||Tendring|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Little Clacton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Clacton, Little (St. James))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Little Clacton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: