Little Chishall, Essex
Chishall, Little, a parish in Essex, on the verge of the county, 5½ miles SE by S of Royston station on the G.N.R., and 8 W of Saffron-Walden. Post town, Royston; money order office, Heydon; telegraph office, Barkway. Acreage, 1216; population, 140. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans, annexed to Heydon; joint net yearly value, £281 with residence. The church is a small building of flint in the Early English style. There is a large chapel, used by Congregationalists and other denominations.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Little Chishall St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Royston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Little Chishall from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Chishall, Little (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: