Little Chesterford, Essex
Chesterford, Little, a parish in Essex, on the river Granta, 1 mile SSE of Chesterford station on the G.E.R., and 3 NNW of Saffron-Walden. It has a post office under Saffron-Walden; money order and telegraph office, Great Chesterford. Acreage, 1207; population, 205. The living is a rectory, annexed to the vicarage of Great Chesterford, in the diocese of St Albans. The church is ancient but very good, and has a brass of 1462. There is a small Wesleyan chapel. Chesterford Park is a large modern mansion standing in a deer park of about 350 acres.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Little Chesterford St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Saffron-Walden|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Little Chesterford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Chesterford, Little (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Little Chesterford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: