Little Canfield, Essex
Canfield, Little, a parish in Essex, on the river Roding and on the G.E.R., 3 miles W by S of Dunmow, under which it has a post office; money order and telegraph office, Takeley. Acreage, 1492; population, 286. The living is a rectory in, the diocese of St Albans; yearly value, £281 with residence,. in the gift of Christ's College, Cambridge. The church is partly ancient, partly a renovation of 1817, partly a reconstruction of 1859, shows Norman, Perpendicular, and Decorated characters in fine blending, and contains a richly sculptured monument, erected by the Rev. C. L. Smith, M.A., the late rector, to the memory of his mother.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Little Canfield are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: