UK Genealogy Archives logo

Little Burstead, Essex

Historical Description

Burstead, Little, a parish in Essex, 1½ mile SSW of Billericay, and 6 miles E by S of Brentwood station on the G.E.R. It has a post office under Brentwood; money order and telegraph office, Billericay. Acreage, 1839; population of the civil parish, 239; of the ecclesiastical, 352. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; gross yearly value, £315 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of St Albans. There is a good church, and some useful charities.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyEssex 
Ecclesiastical parishLittle Burstead St. Mary 
HundredBarstable 
Poor Law unionBillericay 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Little Burstead from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.

The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.


Maps

Online maps of Little Burstead are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online:

DistrictBasildon
CountyEssex
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtCM12
Post TownBillericay