Little Baddow, Essex
Baddow, Little, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands on a tributary of the Chelmer river, 2 miles S of the G.E.R., and 4 E by N of Chelmsford, under which it has a post office; money order and telegraph office, Danbury. The parish includes also the hamlet of Mid-diemead. Acreage, 2735 of land and 21 of water; population, 543. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £297 with residence. The church, which is a building of Roman materials and rubble in the Early English style, contains a costly and splendid monument to the memory of Sir Henry Mildmay, Bart., who died in 1639. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Little Baddow St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Chelmsford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Little Baddow from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Baddow, Little (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Little Baddow are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: