Listen, a village and a parish in Essex, on the river Stour, at the boundary with Suffolk, 1½ mile NNW of Long Melford station on the G.E.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Long Melford (R.S.O.) Acreage of parish, 627; population, 129. The manor belonged anciently to Hugh de Goumai and to the Listens, and now belongs to the Lamberts. Listen Hall is a fine modern mansion. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £196 with residence. The church is a small but ancient building of stone in the Perpendicular style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Sudbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Listen from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: