Lawford, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands on the NE verge of the county, on the river Stour, adjacent to the G.E.R., 1½ mile W of Manningtree, is an ancient place, once belonged to Harold II., and has a post office under Manningtree; money order and telegraph office, Manningtree. The parish contains Manningtree railway station, and comprises 2712 acres; population, 847. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £450 with residence. Patrons, St John's College, Cambridge. The church stands on an eminence, commanding a fine view into Suffolk and towards the sea; is an ancient building of brick and rubble, with a stone tower and three bells; contains a small ornate chancel of about the middle of the 14th century, and has some interesting tombs and monuments. There are almshouses for six poor persons, and some useful charities. Lawford Hall is an ancient country mansion, and Lawford House and Lawford Place are chief residences.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Lawford St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Tendring|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Lawford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Lawford (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Lawford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: