Latton, a parish, with a village, in Essex, on the river Stort and the G.E.R., at the boundary with Herts, 1 mile E by S of Burnt Mill station, and 1½ SW of Harlow. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Harlow. Acreage, 1625; population, 245. An Augustinian priory was founded here before 1276, was given at the dissolution to Sir Henry Parker, and has left some remains in Decorated English architecture, now used as a barn. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £316 with residence. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Late Perpendicular style; consists of chancel, nave, S porch, and an embattled western tower; has adjoining the chancel a small chapel, built in 1448 by Sir Peter Arderae, Kfc, Chief Baron of the Exchequer, and contains some ancient brasses.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Latton St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Epping|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Latton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Latton (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: