Langley, a parish in Essex, adjacent to Herts, 5½ miles W by N of Newport station on the G.E.R., and 7½ WSW of Saffron Walden. Post town, Bishop Stortford; money order office, Clavering; telegraph office, Newport. Acreage, 1660; population, 378. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £167 with residence. Patrons, the Governors of Christ's Hospital. The church is a small building of flint and stone in the Early English style, and there are also Baptist and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Langley St. John the Evangelist|
|Poor Law union||Saffron-Walden|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Langley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Langley (St. John the Evangelist))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Langley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: