Langham, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands near the river Stour, at the boundary with Saffolk, 4 miles NW by N of Ardleigh station on the main line of the G.E.R., and 6 NNE of Colchester; is an ancient place, and has a post office under Stratford St Mary (S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Stratford St Mary. The parish comprises 2997 acres; population of the civil parish, 606; of the ecclesiastical, 590. The manor belongs to the Nocton family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £440 with residence. Patron, the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Early English style. There are also Baptist and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Langham St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Lexden and Winstree|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Langham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Langham (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Langham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: