Langford, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands on the river Blackwater near its confluence with the Chelmer, and adjacent to the Maldon branch of the G.E.R., 1½ mile NW by N of Maldon, and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Maldon, money order and telegraph office, Heybridge. The parish comprises 1047 acres; population of the civil parish, 194; of the ecclesiastical, 224. Langford Grove is a chief residence. The Blackwater here was anciently much broader than now, and was crossed by a long ford, which gave name to the parish, and which was in use in the time of Edward the Confessor. The alluvial grounds formed by deposit of the river, and now meadow, are very fertile. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £203 with residence. The church is Early Norman, in good condition, and has a wooden spire.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Langford St. Giles|
|Poor Law union||Maldon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Langford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Langford (St. Giles))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Langford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: