Langdon Hills, Essex
Langdon Hills, a village and a parish in Essex, with a station 1 mile S on the London, Tilbury, and Southend railway, and 5½ miles S of Billericay. The parish takes its. name from one of the highest hills in the county, commanding a splendid view over the Thames, and includes the hamlet of West Lee, which was anciently a separate parish. It has a post office under Romford; money order and telegraph office, Horndon-on-the-Hill. Acreage, 1816; population, 213. The manor belonged formerly to the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £221 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's. The old church, which stands on the W side of the hill, is now only used as a mortuary chapel. The new church, erected in 1877, is a building of Kentish ragstone in the Early English style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Langdon-Hills St. Mary and All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Orsett|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Langdon Hills from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Langdon-Hills (St. Mary and All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Langdon Hills are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: