Lamarsh, a parish, with a village, in Essex, adjacent to the river Stour at the boundary with Suffolk, 2¼ miles NW of Bures station on the G.E.R., and 4 SSE of Sudbury. Post town and money order and telegraph omce, Bures St Mary, under Colchester. Acreage, 940; population of the civil parish, 196; of the ecclesiastical, 229. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £350 with residence. The church is a small building of brick and stone in the Early English style, has a round tower with octagonal spire, and was restored in 1869. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Lamarsh Holy Innocents|
|Poor Law union||Sudbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Lamarsh from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Lamarsh (Holy Innocents))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Lamarsh are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: