Ingrave, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands near Thorndon Park, 2½ miles from Brentwood station on the G.E.R., and is a pleasant place. There is a post office under Brentwood; money order office, Heron Gate; telegraph office, Brentwood. The parish comprises 1822 acres; population, 551. The manor belongs to Lord Petre. The legal title of the parish is West Horndon-cum-Ingrave; the two parishes were ecclesiastically consolidated into one rectory, with one church and one rectory house, in 1712. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of West Horndon, in the diocese of St Albans. The church was built in 1734, is a red brick structure, with a tower, and has some ancient brasses.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ingrave St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Billericay|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ingrave from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Ingrave (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Ingrave are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: