Horndon on the Hill, Essex
Horndon-on-the-Hill, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands on a hill, 1½ mile NW from Stanford-le-Hope station on the London, Tilbury, and Southend railway, and 2 miles ENE of Orsett, has a fine prospect along the Thames to London and to the sea, is an ancient place, was formerly a market-town, and has now a post, money order, and telegraph office under Grays. The parish comprises 2649 acres; population, 546. A farm bears the name of Saffron Gardens, from the former cultivation of saffron. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £212. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's. The church, which dates from the early part of the 13th century, consists of chancel, with chapel, nave, aisles, S porch, and wooden tower.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Horndon-on-the-Hill St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Orsett|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Horndon on the Hill from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Horndon-on-the-Hill (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Horndon on the Hill are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: