High Roding, Essex
Roding, High, a village and a parish in Essex, on the river Roding, 4 miles SW from Dunmow station on the G.E.R. There is a post office under Dunmow; money order and telegraph office, Dunmow. Acreage, 1740; population, 446. There is a parish council consisting of five members and a chairman. Like the other Roding villages it is an ancient place, and is said to have been given by Leofwin in the reign of Edward the Confessor to a monastery in the Isle of Ely. The manor belongs to the Earl of Roden, who is chief landowner. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £280 with residence, in the gift of the Earl of Roden. The church is a building of flint in mixed styles, consisting of chancel, nave, S porch, and western bell-turret; it contains two ancient brasses.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||High Roothing All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Dunmow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for High Roding from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Roothing, High (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of High Roding are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: