Heydon or Haydon, Essex
Heydon or Haydon, a parish in Essex, adjacent to Herts and to Cambridgeshire, 6 miles E from Royston station on the G.N.R., and 7½ N by W from Audley End station on the G.E.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Royston. Acreage, 1425 acres; population of the civil parish, 221; of the ecclesiastical, 361. The manor belongs to Lord Braybrooke. The surface is hilly, the name being derived from the high down or hill. The living is a rectory, with that of Little Chishall annexed, in the diocese of St Albans; joint net value, £281 with residence. Patron, Lord Braybrooke. The church is a small but ancient building of flint and stone in the Early English style, and consists of nave, aisles, chancel, and N chapel, with an embattled western tower.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: