Havering atte Bower, Essex
Havering-atte-Bower, a village, a parish, and a liberty in Essex. The village stands 3½ miles N by E from Eomford station on the G.E.R., was formerly a borough, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office of the name of Havering, under Romford. The parish comprises 2093 acres; population, 450. The manor belonged to the Saxon kings, was a favourite retreat of Edward the Confessor, and had a royal palace, some remains of which still exist. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; gross yearly value, £80 with residence. The church is a building of flint in the Decorated style, and contains a very ancient font and a monument by Wyatt to Sir J. Burgess, Bart. Havering Park, Pyrgo, Bower House, and Bedfords are chief residences. The liberty includes the parishes of Romford and Hornchurch.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Havering-Atte-Bower St. John the Evangelist|
|Poor Law union||Romford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Havering atte Bower from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Havering-Atte-Bower (St. John the Evangelist))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: