Hadstock, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands near the boundary with Cambridgeshire, 1½ mile S from Linton station on the G.E.R., and 4 miles ENE from Chesterford. It has a post office under Cambridge; money order and telegraph office, Linton; was once a market town, and formerly had a fair on 17 June. The parish comprises 1731 acres; population, 429. Traces have been seen of a Roman villa. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £282 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church, dedicated to St Botolph, is Norman and cruciform, and has a tower. It was rebuilt in 1884. A well set round with stones, and called St Botolph's Well, is in the churchyard. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hadstock St. Botolph|
|Poor Law union||Linton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hadstock from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hadstock (St. Botolph))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Hadstock are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: