Great Wakering, Essex
Wakering, Great, an ancient parish in Essex, near the coast, 2½ miles N from Shoeburyness station on the London, Tilbury, and Southend railway, and 5 NE from Southend-on-Sea. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Southend. Acreage, 2775; population, 1652. The parish includes the islands of Great Potton and Rushley. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £146 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of St Albans. The church is an ancient edifice of stone, Norman with Perpendicular additions, consisting of chancel, nave, N aisle, S porch, and a western tower with shingled spire. There are Congregational and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wakering St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Rochford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Wakering from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Wakering, Great (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Great Wakering are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: