Great Totham, Essex
Totham, Great, a parish, with a village, in Essex, 2½ miles NE from Langford station on the Maldon branch of the G.E.R., from 3 to 4 SE from Witham, and from 3 to 4 N from Maldon. It has a post and money order office under Witham; telegraph office, Wickham Bishops. Acreage, 3354; population of the civil parish, 722; of the ecclesiastical, 675. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The manor belongs to the Honywood family. Beacon Hill has an altitude of about 284 feet, was crowned by a signal beacon during the great war with France, which still remains, and has a large elm which serves as a landmark to mariners. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £115 with residence. The church is a small but ancient building of flint and rubble in the Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave, N aisle, S porch, and a western belfry of wood with spire. There are Congregational and Wesleyan chapels, and almshouses for three married couples and three widows.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Totham St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Maldon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Totham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Totham, Great (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: