Great Saling, Essex
Saling, Great, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands 6 miles NW by W of Braintree, and 3½ NW from Rayne station on the Bishop Stortford, Dunmow, and Braintree branch of the G.E.R. It dates from before the time of Edward the Confessor, and has a post and money order office under Braintree; telegraph office, Rayne. The parish comprises 1599 acres; population of the civil parish, 309; of the ecclesiastical, 325. The Grove is a fine modern mansion standing in a park of 50 acres. The Old Hall is a Tudor mansion of brick. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £90 with residence. The church was restored and partly rebuilt in 1864, is a building of flint and stone in mixed styles, and consists of chancel, nave, N aisle, S porch, and a small tower with two fine toned bells.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Saling St. James|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Saling from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Saling, Great (St. James))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Great Saling are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: