UK Genealogy Archives logo

Great Horkesley, Essex

Historical Description

Horkesley, Great, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands near the river Stour and the boundary with Suffolk, U mile S by W from Nayland, and 4 N by W from Colchester station on the G.E.R., and has a post and money order office under Colchester; telegraph office, Mile End, HOBKESLEY,

The parish comprises 8204 acres; population of the civil parish, 783;, of the ecclesiastical, 764. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £570 with residence. Patron, Earl Cowper. The church is ancient but good, consists of nave, N aisle, and chancel, with handsome tower, and has a very fine memorial window to Bishop Ward of Sodor and Man. There are a modern chapel of ease and an ancient chapel supposed to have been originally dedicated to the Virgin. The latter is now converted into a cottage. It formerly was a small oratory or Ladye Chapel. " This chauntry was founded by John Falcon, who put lands and tenements in feoff for it ' to find a priest to sing in our Ladye Chapel.'" There are still points of great interest in the building.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyEssex 
Ecclesiastical parishHorksley All Saints 
HundredLexden 
Poor Law unionLexden and Winstree 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Great Horkesley from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.

The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.


Maps

Online maps of Great Horkesley are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online:

DistrictColchester
CountyEssex
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtCO6
Post TownColchester