Great Holland, Essex
Holland, Great, a village and a parish in Essex, on Holland Brook and on the coast, 1 mile S of Kirby station on the G.W.R., 4 miles SW of Walton steamboat pier, and 16 ESE from Colchester. Post town, Colchester; money order office, Kirby Cross; telegraph office, Walton-on-the-JSaze. Acreage, 2155; population of civil parish, 430; of ecclesiastical, 418. The manor and the Hall-farm belonged to Samuel Travers, Esq., and the Hall-farm and rents of other lands in the neighbourhood were left by him for the maintenance of seven superannuated navy lieutenants, who are known as the College of Naval Knights, Windsor. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £500 with residence. The church, with the exception of the tower, was taken down in 1865, and the nave and chancel rebuilt with the addition of a N aisle.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Holland All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Tendring|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Holland from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Holland, Great (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Great Holland are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: