Great Henny, Essex
Henny, Great, a parish in Essex, on the river Stour, at the boundary with Suffolk, 3 miles S from Sudbury station on the G.E.R. Post town and telegraph office, Sudbury; money order office, Ballingdon. Acreage, 1034; population of the civil parish, 430; of the ecclesiastical, 305. The parish got its present name before the time of Edward the Confessor. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; gross yearly value,, £395. Patron, the Earl of Vernlam. The church stands on an eminence with a fine prospect, and has a tower and spire.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Great Henny are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: