Great Easton, Essex
Easton, Great, a parish in Essex, on the river Chelmer, 3 miles NNW of Dunmow station on the G.E.R., and 6½ E by N from Stanstead. It has a post office under Dunmow; money order and telegraph office, Dunmow. Acreage, 2559; population of the civil parish, 674; of the ecclesiastical, 543. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; value, £472 with residence. The church is an ancient building chiefly of flint, in mixed styles. Meade's charity, amounting to about £55 a year, is devoted to educational purposes.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Easton St. John|
|Poor Law union||Dunmow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Easton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Easton, Great (St. John))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Great Easton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: