Great Bentley, Essex
Bentley, Great, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands near the Tendring Hundred branch of the G.E.R., 8 miles SE by E of Colchester, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Colchester, and a railway station of the same name. The parish comprises 3235 acres; population, 1008. The living is a vicarage in the diuccse of St Albans; gross yearly value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St Albans. The church is a building of red sandstone, and has a very fine Norman arch over the S door. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bentley St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Tendring|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Bentley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Bentley, Great (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Great Bentley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: