Great Baddow, Essex
Baddow, Great, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands near the river Chelmer, 2 miles ESE of Chelms-ford station on the G.E.K.; has a post and telegraph office under Chelmsford; and is a pleasant place, with a considerable number of genteel residences. The parish comprises 389i8 acres of land and 12 of water; population of the civil parish, 2019; of the ecclesiastical, 1486. There is an extensive brewery here. The manor belonged to Algar, Earl of Mercia; was given by William the Conqueror to the Abbey of Caen in Normandy; passed, in the time of Henry I., to the Earl of Gloucester; and went through a series of proprietors, to the family of Houblon. Baddow Hall is now the residence of the Greene family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £324 with residence. The church is a building of brick and rubble in the Early English style. There is also a Congregational chapel. Richard de Badew, the founder of Clare Hall, Cambridge, was a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Baddow St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Chelmsford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Baddow from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Baddow, Great (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Great Baddow are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: