Foulness, an insular parish in Essex. It lies on the S side of the lowest reach of the river Crouch, terminates there in a point or headland, which is Foulness proper, is separated on the W from "Wallasea island by a narrow strait, and on the SW, from smaller islands, by other narrow straits, is bounded on the SE and E by the North Sea, and takes its name from being a haunt of myriads of wild fowL Foulness village lies 10 miles NE from Shoeburyness station on the London, Tilbury, and Southend railway, and 12 NE of Southend, and has a post office under Southend; money order and telegraph office, Great Wakering. Its circuit, not reckoning the saltings toward the sea, is computed at about 20 miles. Its area comprises 6162 acres; population, 676. The land is mostly low and marshy, and is all protected by an embanking wall. The lower tracts are disposed in pasturage, and the higher ones produce good crops of corn, clover, mustard, and cole seed. Oysters of prime quality are taken adjacent to its shores. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net yearly value, £279 with residence. The church was built in 1850, and is a building of stone in the Early English style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Foulness St. Mary
|Poor Law union
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Foulness from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Foulness (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: