Felstead or Felstead Holy Cross, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands near the river Chelmer, and has a station on the G.E.R., 3½ miles ESE of Dnnmow, and ] a. post, money order, and telegraph office under Chelmsford. The parish comprises 6408 acres of land and 18 of water; population, 1859. Bannister Green is a hamlet adjacent. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £620 with residence. Patron, Earl Cowley. The church is partly Saxon, has a tower, and contains numerous ancient and interesting monuments. There is an endowed grammar school for hoys, founded in 1564 by Richard, Lord Rich. It is administered in accordance with a scheme sanctioned by the Education Department of the Charity Commission. The school is a Gothic building erected in 1864.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Felsted Holy Cross|
|Poor Law union||Dunmow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Felstead from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Felsted (Holy Cross))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: