Faulkbourn, a village and a parish in Essex, on the river Brain, 2 miles NW from Witham station on the G.E.R., and 5½ SE from Braintree. There is a post office under Witham; money order office, White Notley, telegraph office, Witham. Acreage, 1151; population, 140. Faulkbourn Hall, now the property of the Bullock family, was originally built in 1440 by Sir R. Montgomery, retains a Tudor tower, with polygonal turrets, having pyramidal crocketed canopies and bartisans, forms on the west of the entrance tower three sides of a quadrangle, and is said to occupy the site of a Roman villa. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £270 with residence. The church is Norman, has two brasses of the sixteenth century, and is good.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Faulkbourn St. Germanus|
|Poor Law union||Witham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Faulkbourn from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Faulkbourn (St. Germanus))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: