Remenham, a picturesque little parish in Berks, adjoining Henley-on-Thames, skirted on its NW and S sides by the river Thames. Its post town, telegraph office, and railway station (G.W.R.) is Henley-on-Thames, from which it is only separated by the river, which is crossed by a very handsome arched stone bridge. There are three villages in Remenham, viz., Aston, Remenham Hill, and the Marsh. The acreage-is 1573; population, 546. It has a parish council consisting of six members. The largest landowner is the Hon. W. F. D. Smith, the lord of the manor, while the Park Place and Cutham Court estates almost monopolise the rest of the land. Park Place is a fine mansion in the French-Italian style, standing on a lofty eminence amidst a beautiful park of 900 acres, and commanding a series of splendid views. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; gross value, £575 with residence. The Rectory House is a modern building prettily situated half-way on the well-known Henley Regatta Course. Patron, Jesus College, Oxford. The church, which was restated. in 1870, is a building of cut flint in the Early English style, consisting of a singularly formed apsidal chancel, nave, S aisle, S porch, and an embattled western tower. It has some ancient and interesting tombs and monuments, and a pretty lych gate.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Remenham St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Henley-upon-Thames|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1697.
Church of England
St. Nicholas (parish church)
The church of St. Nicholas, completely restored in 1870, is an edifice of cut flint with stone dressings, in the Early English style, and consists of apsidal chancel, nave of three bays, south aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing 3 bells: the choir seats and altar rails and the wrought-iron gates on the south side of the chancel were the gift of the late John Noble esq.: on the west wall, under the tower, is a brass with effigy and shield of arms, to Thomas Maryet, of Remenham esq. ob. 22 December, 1591; and another brass to John Newman, pastor, ob. 1602, with effigy in ruff collar and preaching gown: a new vestry and sacristy were added in 1892, at a cost of £450, and in 1893 a stained window was presented by Mrs. Noble, at a cost of £350, and a pulpit erected as a memorial to the late John Noble esq. by his children, at a cost of £93: new oak seats were erected in 1914 at a cost of £400 as a memorial to the late Mrs. Lily Noble by her children: three stained windows were placed in the apse in 1900, to the memory of the Rev. Brisco-Owen, some time rector here, and his wife: the church affords 150 sittings. The lych-gate, at the entrance to the churchyard, was erected in 1868 by the late John Noble esq.
Remenham was in Henley Registration District from 1837 to 1895 and Wokingham Registration District from 1895 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Remenham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Remenham (St. Nicholas))
- Kelly's Directory of Berkshire, 1915
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Remenham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:
The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.