UK Genealogy Archives logo

Fairsted, Essex

Historical Description

Fairsted, a parish in Essex, 3 miles NW from Hatfield Peverel station on the G.E.R., and 4 WNW from Witham. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Witham. Acreage, 1963; population, 282. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £300 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Sfc Albans. The church is an ancient building of flint in the Norman style. The chancel belongs to the 13th century. The nave of the church was restored in 1890, when several curious paintings on the walls were discovered, which had been concealed by plaster and whitewash. There is a peal of four bells, one being of pre-Reformation date. Fullers Street and Ranks Green are adjacent hamlets.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyEssex 
Ecclesiastical parishFairstead St. Mary 
HundredWitham 
Poor Law unionWitham 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Fairsted from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.

The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: