Elmstead, a village and a parish in Essex. The village is divided into three hamlets-(1) The Market, which stands near the Roman Stone Street, 3 miles NE from Wivenhoe station on the G.E.R., and 4 E by N of Colchester, and has a post and money order office under Colchester; Wivenhoe is the telegraph office. (2) The Heath, about, a mile from the Market on the road to Alresford. (3) A district running close down to Wivenhoe. The parish comprises 3725 acres; population, 928. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £220 with residence. Patrons, Jesus' College, Cambridge. The church, situated close to the Hall, and about a mile E of the Market, is a building of stone in mixed styles, and has a very ancient wooden effigy of a knight. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Elmstead St. Anne|
|Poor Law union||Tendring|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Elmstead from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Elmstead (St. Anne))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Elmstead are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: