UK Genealogy Archives logo

Eastwood, Essex

Historical Description

Eastwood, a very ancient parish in Essex, mainly on Broomhill river, 2¼ miles SW from Rochford station on the G.E.R., and 2¼ NNE from Leigh station on the London, Tilbury, and Southend railway. Post town, Rochford; money order and telegraph office, Rayleigh under Chelmsford. Acreage, 2989 of land and 20 of water; population, 585. East-wood Bury, a modern building of brick, is the seat of the Stalhbrass family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; gross yearly value, o£250. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church consists of chancel, nave, and two aisles, with a tower, and is ancient but good. A portion of Wallasea Island is included in Eastwood.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyEssex 
Ecclesiastical parishEastwood St. Lawrence and All Saints 
HundredRochford 
Poor Law unionRochford 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Eastwood from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.

The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.


Maps

Online maps of Eastwood are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online:

CountySouthend-on-Sea
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtSS9
Post TownLeigh-On-Sea