UK Genealogy Archives logo

Earls Colne, Essex

Historical Description

Colne, Earl's or Great, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands on the river Colne, adjacent to the Colne Valley branch of the G.E.R., 1 mile NE from Colne railway station, and 3½ miles SE by E of Halstead, and it has a post, money order, and telegraph office of the name of Earl's Colne, under Halstead. The parish comprises 2965 acres; population, 1720. A Benedictine priory, a cell to Abingdon, was founded here in the time of Henry I., by Aubrey de Vere, and given at the dissolution to the Earl of Oxford. A seat of the Earls of Oxford called Hall Place, with a park of 700 acres, also was here. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £320. The church was built in 1532, has a tower, partly of flint, and contains monuments of the De Veres, removed to it from the priory. There are Baptist and Quaker chapels, a literary institute with reading-room, a free grammar-school, and six almshouses. There are large agricultural implement works here, giving employment to about 200 men, a silk winding factory, some mailings, and brick and tile works.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyEssex 
Ecclesiastical parishEarl's Colne St. Andrew 
HundredLexden 
Poor Law unionHalstead 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Earls Colne from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.

The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.


Maps

Online maps of Earls Colne are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online:

DistrictBraintree
CountyEssex
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtCO6
Post TownColchester