Downham, a parish in Essex, near the river Crouch, S miles from Wickford station on the G.E.R., and 4 E from Billericay. Post town, Brentwood; money order office, Ramsden Heath; telegraph office, Billericay. Acreage, 2205; population, 266. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; value, £300 with residence. The church has a square embattled tower, and is good.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Downham St. Margaret|
|Poor Law union||Billericay|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Downham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Downham (St. Margaret))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Downham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: