Doddinghurst, a parish in Essex, 4½ miles N by W from Brentwood station on the G.E.R., and 4¼ SE by S from Ongar. Post town, Brentwood; money order and telegraph office, Kclvedon Common. Acreage, 1917; population, 401. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; value, £631 with residence. The church is an ancient and interesting building of stone and rubble in the Early English style, recently well restored.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Doddinghurst All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Ongar|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Doddinghurst from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Doddinghurst (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Doddinghurst are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: