Copford, a village and a parish in Essex, on the river Roman, 1½ mile E of Marks-Tey station on the G.E.R., and 4 miles WSW of Colchester, with a post office under Colchester; money order and telegraph office, Marks-Tey. Acreage, 2135; population of the civil parish, 693; of the ecclesiastical, 749. The manor belonged formerly to the Bishops of London. Copford Hall is the seat of the Harrisons. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; value, £600. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church has a Norman apse, and is good. There is a Friends' meeting-house and a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Lexden and Winstree|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Copford from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Copford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: