Colne Engaine, Essex
Colne-Engaine, a village and a parish in Essex. The village occupies a rising ground on the left side of the river Colne, half a mile WNW of Colne station on the Colne Valley railway, and 2¼ miles ESE of Halstead, and has a post office of the name of Colne-Engaine, under Halstead; money order and telegraph office, Earls Colne. The parish comprises 2429 acres; population, 522. The manor belonged anciently to the Engaines. Colne Park is a principal residence and seat of the Reeve family, and near it is a lofty Ionic column by Soane. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; value, £800. Patron, the lord mayor and commonalty of London as Governors of Christ's Hospital. The church is a building of brick and stone in the Gothic style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Engain Colne St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Lexden and Winstree|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Colne Engaine from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Colne, Engain (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Colne Engaine are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: