Cold Norton, Essex
Cold-Norton, a village and a parish in Essex, with a station on the G.E.R., 4 miles S of Maldon. Post town, Maldon; money order office, Stow Maries; telegraph office, Latchingdon. Acreage, 1692; population, 183. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; value, £210 with residence. Patron, the Charterhouse, London. The church was built in 1855, and is a building of stone in the Decorated style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Cold Norton St. Stephen|
|Poor Law union||Maldon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cold Norton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Norton, Cold (St. Stephen))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Cold Norton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: