Childerditch a parish in Essex, 1¼ mile from East Horn-don station on the London, Tilbury, and Southend railway, 3 miles S by E of Brentwood, and 6 SW of Billericay. Post town, Brentwood; money order and telegraph office, Warley Common. Acreage, 1635; population, 198. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; yearly value, £120 with residence. Patron, Lord Petre. The church, a building of Kentish rag in the Early English style, was erected in 1869.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Childerditch All Saints and St. Faith|
|Poor Law union||Billericay|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Childerditch from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Childerditch (All Saints and St. Faith))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Childerditch are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: