Canewdon, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands on the river Crouch, 3½ miles NNE of Rochford, and 6½ N of Southend railway stations. It has a post office under Rochford (R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office,. Rochford. Canute the Dane held his court here, and the name Canewdon is a corruption of Canute's Town. A Roman station also was here, and several Roman urns and a torso have been found.- The parish includes part of Wallasea, formerly an islaud, but now joined to the mainland. Acreage, 5239; population, 597. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £289 with residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The church is Later English, has a massive tower, and is very good. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Canewdon St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Rochford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Canewdon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Canewdon (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Canewdon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: