Bradwell, Bradwell-near-the-Sea, or Bradwell-juxta-Mare, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands near the point of the peninsula between the Blackwater estuary and the sea, 7 miles NE from Southminster station on the G.E.R., and 5½ by water or 15 by road from Maldon. It has a post and money order office under Southminster; telegraph office, Tillingham. It occupies the site of the Roman Othona and the Saxon Ithancestre. The parish comprises 5012 acres of land and 5620 of water and foreshore; population, 914. There is a little trade in corn and coal, and a coastguard station. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net yearly value, £800 with residence. The church has some interesting brasses and monuments. There is also a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bradwell-near-the-Sea St. Thomas the Apostle|
|Poor Law union||Maldon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bradwell from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Bradwell-near-the-Sea (St. Thomas the Apostle))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Bradwell are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: