Bowers Gifford, Essex
Bowers-Gifford, a parish in Essex, on the London, Tilbury and Southend railway, 1½ mile E of Pitsea station, and 7 miles SE of Billericay. It has a post office (S.O.); money order office, South Benfleet; telegraph office, Pitsea station. Acreage, 2472 of land and 21 of water; population, 183. Much of the land is marshy. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £476 with residence. The church is an edifice of stone in the Perpendicular style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bowers-Gifford St. Margaret|
|Poor Law union||Billericay|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bowers Gifford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Bowers-Gifford (St. Margaret))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Bowers Gifford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: