Birdbrook, a parish in Essex, having a station on the Colne Valley railway, 4 miles SE of Haverhill. It has a post office under Halstead; money order office, Haverhill; telegraph office, Birdbrook station. Acreage, 2072; population, 531. A Roman camp occurs near Watson Bridge, and a number of Roman urns, coins, and other relics have been found near the old Roman road. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; tithe rent charge commuted at £620 with residence, in the gift of Clare College, Cambridge. The church is an admirable specimen of Early English architecture, and has been faithfully and completely restored; it contains among other monuments a tablet to the memory of one Martha Blewitt, who was the wife of successively nine husbands, and died in 1681, and of Robert Hogan, the husband of seven wives, the last of whom he married in 1739. Baythorne-end, Chadwell (St Cead's Well), and Bailey Hill are hamlets in this parish.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Birdbrook St. Augustine|
|Poor Law union||Risbridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Birdbrook from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Birdbrook (St. Augustine))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Birdbrook are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: