Birch, a parish in Essex, 3½ miles SE of Marks-Tey station on the G.E.R., and 5 SW of Colchester. It comprises two ancient parishes, Great Birch and Little Birch, now united, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Colchester. Acreage, 3413 of land and 11 of water; population of the civil parish, 869; of the ecclesiastical parish of Great and Little Birch, 799. Birch Hall is a fine country seat standing in beautiful grounds. There are remains of a small castle. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £598 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of St Albans (two appointments) and the Round family (one appointment) alternately. The church of Great Birch is good, that of Little Birch is in ruins.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Birch St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Lexden and Winstree|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Birch from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Birch, Great And Little (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Birch are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: