North Moreton, Berkshire
Moreton, North, a village and a parish in Berks. The village stands near the G.W.R., 3 miles ESE of Didcot Junction station, and 4 W of Wallingford. The parish comprises 1102 acres; population, 276. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Wallingford. The living is a vicarage-in the diocese of Oxford; net value, £157 with residence. Patron, the Archdeacon of Berks. The church was built in 1290; it is a building of flint and stone in the later Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and a western tower. At the SE angle there is a chapel called " Stapleton's Chantry," and the church contains a curious ancient water-drain and some old monuments. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||North Moreton All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Wallingford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1558.
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints is a structure of flint with stone dressings in the later Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, south aisle, south porch and a western tower, 56 feet high, containing 5 bells; at the south-east angle is a handsome chapel called "Stapleton's Chantry," erected in the 13th century, with a window retaining some ancient stained glass and a piscina formed in a splay of the east window; a deed of Edward III. exists giving permission to Sir Miles Stapleton to alienate 25 acres of land for use of the priest of this chantry; the chancel walls are decorated with modern paintings: there are two stained windows, and a reredos of coloured marbles, with a representation of the Crucifixion in the centre, wrought in mosaic: a portion of the rood stairs and the doorway remains: there are 260 sittings.
North Moreton was in Wallingford Registration District from 1837 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for North Moreton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Moreton, North (All Saints))
- Kelly's Directory of Berkshire, 1915
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of North Moreton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:
The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.